Just as summer gets here, the weeds show up in your shrub beds – reminding you that there’s still work to do in your yard.
It doesn’t have to be this way! We provide bed weed control services for clients who want to take the summer off from weeding.
Prevention is the best policy. Each annual weed contains thousands of seeds, promising to keep you busy next summer too. Keeping weeds from ever becoming established – and especially going to seed – is the best policy to managing weeds in planting beds. When you cut your lawn, be careful not to blow clippings into the beds.
Hand-pulling any weeds before they go to seed will reduce the amount of herbicide needed. Cutting a fresh lawn edge and a 2-inch layer of mulch provides a physical barrier that will prevent a lot of weeds. Our sister company, Groundhog Landscaping, provides these services as part of a Spring Cleanup.
Special licensing. A technician who applies weed controls to shrub beds in New Hampshire must have an Ornamental Tree Spraying license from the state. Because Groundhog Turf Care’s G-1 licensed applicators also have licenses to apply herbicides, shrub bed weed control services dovetail nicely with our Tree and Shrub Care services.
Our treatment program consists of:
- April – A pre-emergent barrier in early spring to prevent germination from any seeds that may have blown in the planting bed from last fall. This first application should knock down most of any weeds that may occur in a well-maintained planting bed.
- May – A post-emergent weed control is applied to kill any overwintering perennial weeds.
- June – A second application of post-emergent weed control. This spray kills any new weeds encroaching in on beds, patios, and walkways
- July – A third application at the end of summer cleans up any late-germinating weeds that may have popped up over the hot dry summer.
- August – This is the final spray of the year that will keep your beds, walks, and patio clear of weeds for the remainder of the year.
Groundhog Turf Care does more than turf! Ask us today about how we can make your planting beds look beautiful – so you can take the summer off!